Irish Citizenship Through A Grandparent Born In Ireland?
If your Grandparent is/was an Irish Born Person, they were automatically a Citizen of Ireland and remained so, even after emigration. Any Child of theirs is also an Irish Citizen. The entitlement to claim Citizenship as a Grandchild of an Irish Born Person, is automatic, but the procedure is strict and the necessary documents must first be submitted for Citizenship before any application for an Irish Passport can be submitted. Thereafter, Passport applications should be made through the Irish Embassy or Consulate in your Country of Residence (Charges will apply)
The documents required for Irish Citizenship by Grandparent Descent are as follows:
- Your own Long Form Civil Birth Certificate – sourced from your Country of Birth
- Original Civil Marriage Certificate of your parents (if applicable) – sourced from the Country of Marriage
- Original Long Form Civil Birth Certificate of your Parent – sourced from the Country of their Birth
- Parents Civil Marriage Certificate – sourced from the Country of Marriage
- Long Form Civil Birth Certificate of Irish Born Grandparent – sourced through www.birthsdeathsmarriages.ie
- Civil Marriage Certificate of Grandparents – sourced through www.birthsdeathsmarriages.ie, if Married in Ireland and otherwise from the Country of Marriage
- Civil Death Certificate of Grandparent, if deceased – sourced from the Country where the Death occurred.
These documents are all proof of lineage and are a crucial part of the application process. Documents are supplied directly from the Country of Birth, Death or Marriage. Following a successful application for Citizenship, a Certificate of Citizenship will be provided from the Department of Foreign Affairs – to verify your Birth entry into the Register of Foreign Births. This Certificate can then be presented as proof of your Citizenship to an Irish Embassy or Consulate as part of an Irish Passport Application. Please note, there are Photocopies of various other items required to support your application, the list above are the Official documents you will need in advance of an application.
Website T&C’s Apply.